Location: Green Lake
Date/Times: 7/16/2011 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
The 41st Annual Pirate's Booty Seafair Milk Carton Derby will take place on Saturday, July 16! Nearly 100 colorful milk carton boats of all shapes and design will compete on the waters of Green Lake for $10,000 in prizes. The Derby is highlighted by a full day of "competition" as children, adults, families and businesses build milk carton watercraft for show and racing.
Where in the world is YOUR Pirate's Booty?! From the tops of the mountains, to the depths of the sea, would you travel through space for your Pirate's Booty? Show us where in the world you'd like to eat your favorite Pirate's Booty snack by incorporating it into the design of your boat! To qualify contestants must include Pirate's Booty snack and/or Pirate's Booty logo somewhere on their boat. Prizes: 1st place - Year Supply of Pirate's Booty and Pirate's Booty Swag, 2nd place - 1 Case of Pirate's Booty and Pirate's Booty Swag, 3rd place - 1 Case of Pirate's Booty!
The racing, military and open categories are complimentary, there is no charge to enter.
Racing - Free to Enter
Any craft whose design and intent is primarily speed like skulls, kayaks, surfboards and racing type catamarans will be placed in this category. This race has two sub-categories:
Youth ages 8-13
Adult ages 14 and up
Military - Free to Enter
A special category for our military community, at least one crew member of the milk carton craft must be active duty military.
-A trophy for one year display will be awarded to the military race winner.
-A prize will be awarded to the military race entry judged to have the best design.
Open - Free to Enter
Any style entry other that racing, military or commercial. This category is for entries where design took precedence over speed in the construction. It is still however a race to the finish. This race has three sub categories:
Youth ages 8-13
Adult ages 14 and up
Family - kids up to age 13 with at least one adult
Groups & Commercial - $250 Entry Fee
This category is for groups & Commercial entries. A $250 entry gives your group or company the opportunity to race with a company name, logo or slogan on your vessel. Take the challenge and race to glory on the formidable waters of Seattle’s Green Lake. A minimum of 100 half-gallon cartons or their equivalent is required. This category is not eligible for Showboat or other major price drawings. Entries must meet the conditions of the Open category. Each group/commercial participant will receive an official 2011 Milk Carton Derby T-shirt.
-Overall winner will be awarded 8 one-day passes to Seafair Weekend (Albert Lee Cup/Boeing Air Show) as well as 10% of collected entry monies donated to the non-profit of their choice.
-Best design in this category wins 4 one-day passes to Seafair Weekend (Albert Lee Cup/ Boeing Air Show).
NOTE: The racing category is for entries designed for speed. The open category is for entries where design and creative use of milk cartons is the primary purpose but this is still a race. The showboat award is not opened to sponsored groups/commercial or military entrants.
*The inspector will place entries in the racing category if there is a doubt as to the intent of the craft. Open category entries, which seriously outdistance the field, may be reclassified or disqualified by the judges. All rulings are final.
A detailed schedule with race heats, etc. will be posted at a later date.
Activities on Water...and on Land!
There will be plenty of activities on shore as well - including interactive displays and exhibits, autographs and picture opportunities (Seafair Clowns, Seafair Princesses, The SeaGals - and more!), pig petting and plenty of food booths! A full list of exhibitors will be posted once confirmed.
Seafair & Northwest Harvest Sink Hunger Day
Northwest Harvest and Seafair are partnering to collect food donations at the Milk Carton Derby - non-perishable food will be collected on site.
Awards will be given for each of the race categories. Additionally, all participants will receive a raffle ticket. Raffle winners will be announced at the awards ceremony. Other awards include the Showboat Award (chosen by the Milk Carton Derby Race Committee) and the Pirate's Booty Award.
Milk Carton Derby Rules
• All participants must wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket while in the water. Ski belts are not acceptable.
• Boats must stay inside the designated course.
• Children under the age of eight must be accompanied by an adult when aboard an entry.
• A minimum of 50 half-gallon cartons or the equivalent is required for each entry unless you are a commercial entry in which case 100 half-gallon milk cartons are required.
• Craft must be of homemade construction and primary floatation dependent upon milk cartons. Waxing, shellacking or covering hulls with material such a plastic, lamination or metal is not allowed.
• Fixed oars are not allowed in the open or commercial categories.
• No engines or motors of any kind are allowed. Propulsion power or any other kind of stored energy (i.e.. a tank filled with compressed air or water is also prohibited). Vessels may have sails as part of their decoration but the power for movement must be human power only.
• Contestants will begin the race in their boats at the starting line indicated by the starting buoys. Any boat crossing the start line early will be disqualified. Boats must remain in their own lane. Judges may disqualify vessels impeding the progress of others.
•Vessels may not change configuration to enter multiple categories.
• Nothing is to be thrown or released from boats while in the water. Decorations must be firmly attached. Violation is an automatic disqualification.
• Participants must be present at the awards ceremony at the conclusion of the event to win prizes.
• Any propeller or mechanical device must be covered by a protective enclosure.
• All rulings and judgments are final.
Tickets: Click here